Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My creative Heritage



I have always been surrounded by creativity. My mother was a seamstress. My biggest creative influence came from the men in the community that masked yearly as Mardi Gras Indians. 100 years ago, blacks were not welcome to particpate in Mardi Gras events held in the french Quarter, or the CBD. We began to form our own Social and Pleasure Clubs.
At some point they began to honor the Native Americans in Louisiana such as the "Choctaws". During the days of the underground railroad, the native Americans were kind to slaves and often hid them.
The men would create intricate bead work. It would take a year to complete the masterpieces and they would always start on a "new suit", the day after Mardi Gras. Listen to this song and you will understand. Click Here.
I pray the tradition will continue to be passed down as it has for 100+ years. New Orleans residents have spread over this land since Hurricane Katrina. I pray tradition survive the migration. Here's a video explaining the tradition of The Mardi Gras Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment